#stEEkal: Prompt #3: Snip Your Knits

So, this morning I snipped my swatches. I reinforced all of the soon-to-be edges with a fingering weight 100% wool yarn that was hanging out in my stash, and then I picked up my scissors and cut into my knitting. It was all rather straightforward and easy and not at all the anxiety-filled moment I thought it might be. Either I reinforced my stitches correctly, or I didn’t. Either my swatches would unravel, or they wouldn’t.

They didn’t.

#stEEkal - Steeked Swatches

I am, however, not entirely convinced that I did it correctly, because the entire process seemed too simple. Surely, it can not be that easy. I must have done something wrong. Except my swatches are intact. I tug on them, and everything (more or less) stays in place.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This is the first of the two hand sewn swatches. I reviewed this tutorial before I got started. The steek stitches were knit in a checkerboard pattern, and I sewed down the center of the fourth and fifth stitches. I also cut between these stitches. Of the three swatches, the edges on this swatch seem least stable. The cut stitches seem like they could come loose quite easily. I do, however, like that the edges look neat.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This is the second hand sewn swatch. This time, I reinforced the center of the third and sixth stitches while cutting between the fourth and fifth. The steek stitches were also knit in vertical stripes. I definitely prefer the vertical stripes, which were easier to see when I was sewing the back stitch. Initially, I didn’t think I liked the excess yarn ends, which result from moving the reinforced stitches further away from the cut line, but the edges seem more stable.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Finally, here’s my swatch that uses the crocheted reinforcement, which follows Kate Davies’ tutorial. This would probably be the easiest of the two methods, except that I have two left hands once you put a crochet hook in one of them. The cut edges are definitely stretchiest using this approach, but I wonder what all of that stretch means for the snipped stitches over time.


I think I’m going to explore Kate Davies’ steek sandwich as a way of further reinforcing and hiding the cut edges. The Fusion cardigan — my end goal — has picked-up front button bands, but the steek sandwich could be too bulky for that application. I definitely have some more experimenting and swatching to do before I cast on for Fusion.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s