FO: Bromley

Pattern: Bromley
Yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed (Ash)
View My Ravelry Project

Since the beginning of the year, I’ve been telling my mother that I’d knit her a hat. She’s a very picky person, and it was difficult finding a hat pattern that she liked. So I didn’t produce a hat last winter, nor this summer, and then suddenly it was late fall, and I wanted to be able to bring her a hat on Thanksgiving.

Bromley, with its subtle texture and beret-like shape, seemed like something she’d like. (She’s a hard person to please.) I didn’t end up loving the process of knitting it, but eventually I found my rhythm, and I finished knitting it yesterday (Thanksgiving) morning. The cabled texture was kind of hard to capture in a picture, but I think it looks nice.


The crown shaping was a giant pain in the ass though. Twice because I wasn’t reading the directions. Once because I was reading the directions, and I simply didn’t like what I saw. So I went a bit off the pattern for the crown shaping. Instead of starting each decrease section with a k2tog, I knit an ssk and ended with a k2tog. And then I worked the left and right cables based on what appeared in the previous rows.

It worked out perfectly, and I’m not at all convinced that there’s a problem with the pattern, because who knows, maybe I made a mistake in my setup, which caused the crown shaping to not really work for me.