FO: Carina

Carina
Carina
Pattern: Carina
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Sock (Onyx)
View My Ravelry Project

I finished knitting my Carina pullover last Wednesday, and I wore it all day yesterday. It was a little too warm during my ride home from work last night, since it was 60°F outside, but I think it’ll make a fine spring sweater. And it’s my first black sweater of 2017.

I made a few modifications, both big and small, to the pattern. The small change is that I twisted the stitches on the faux seam-like columns. The big change is that I replaced the garter trims with twisted ribbing and I added a more traditional neck band. I’m really pleased with the results. I really like the way that the twisted rib looks, and I’m glad I finally tracked down a vertical double decrease with twisted stitch for the v-neck.

If I did this again, I could see reworking the neck band in order to make it a little more relaxed, but that’s my only real complaint.

Carina

Of course, I ignored best practice and didn’t alternate skeins while working on this project, which explains the lighter band of color along the midsection of the body. And not only did I not alternate skeins, half of my first hank of Tosh Sock was kinked up, frogged yarn. I think that contributed to the color changes. (The photographs might also exaggerate the differences.)

I’ve noticed that Tosh yarns aren’t usually saturated with dye throughout the entire strand of yarn. The core of the yarn, when cut, often looks natural or only very lightly dyed. My theory is that the yarn plies became disturbed and consequently revealed more of the undyed / lighter colored parts of the yarn after I frogged the previous project. When I reknit the yarn, the fabric was a different shade of black. I started knitting the pullover from the unknit end of the ball, so the neckline and the majority of the raglan-increased fabric is more black. The kinky frogged yarn begins around the last third or quarter of the raglan increases and continues into the body, which is where the fabric becomes less black.

My thoughts on this might be way off. My first hank might have simply been more uneven in color. But I could, in theory, test this by knitting, frogging, and reknitting some large swatches. I could also see if soaking the frogged yarn changes the fabric of the second swatch. But I don’t think I’m that motivated. (I would appreciate it very much if someone else is.)

Ultimately — and probably unsurprisingly — I don’t mind the differences in color. It may not be perfect, but I’m happy with the sweater and I enjoyed wearing it yesterday. At the end of the day, it didn’t matter that I was wearing a pullover knit in mismatched blacks.

WIP Summary: February 2017

Grettir
Pattern: Grettir
Yarn: Ístex Léttlopi (1407, 9421, 9426, 0867)

When we last left off, I was knitting the sleeves of my Grettir sweater, and, in the last month, I’ve also completed the body and the short rows that precede the yoke. All that’s left is the fun part: the yoke. (And the finishing.) Unfortunately, unless I do some serious time mismanagement, I won’t be able to finish Grettir this month, and I suppose there’s no real rush, because the weather has gone all springy on us, I doubt that I’ll get to wear this before next winter.

Carina (WIP)
Pattern: Carina
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Sock (Onyx)

I frogged a project that had been languishing in my long-ignored WIPs pile and cast on Carina. Of course, my first hank of Onyx is noticeably more grey than the second, and any normal knitter would probably do something to fix this. But I’ve decided to leave it alone, because #lazyrecklessknitter — and because I realized this winter that maybe I don’t actually care about mismatched dye lots. If my Rosemont Cardigan has taught me anything (apparently it has not taught me not to use mismatched dye lots), it has been that dye lot differences pale in comparison to getting real satisfaction and frequent wear out of me-made garment.

Ginkgo (WIP)
Pattern: Ginkgo
Yarn: Cascade 220 (Tangerine Heather)

I’m not a scarf knitter. I get very little enjoyment out of knitting them, but I’m doing this as a favor for my boyfriend’s step-mother. (There’s a second scarf in a different to follow.) Truthfully, it’s not so bad, but I probably won’t be knitting more scarves anytime soon.


I also cast on a second Seasmoke shawl in 100% alpaca. It’s soft and black, but I don’t love knitting with alpaca. As a result, this project isn’t seeing much action.

I’m still chipping away at my Meadow Road pullover, which has taken up residence at my boyfriend’s apartment, where I basically only get to work on it one day a week — at most. The pattern is very intuitive, and I used up my first hank of yarn this past weekend. (Of course, I didn’t have a second on hand.) I’m considering moving Seasmoke over to his apartment, so that I can put more time into Meadow Road, which would be the perfect sweater for this high-40°Fs / low-50°Fs weather we’ve been having.

And finally, yesterday morning I decided to frog my Brio-Garter Hat. Frogged but not forgotten, this pattern is going back in my queue, so that, later this year, it can get the attention it requires and I can get the brioche practice that I want.