Carbeth

FO: Carbeth²

This year I also made two modified Carbeth sweaters. Both use approximately 900 yards of Green Mountain Spinnery’s DK-weight Mewesic held single instead of double, as called for in the pattern. Initially, I did this out of necessity, as I didn’t have an appropriate yarn in my stash and I couldn’t buy anything new at the time that the pattern was published. But I liked the finished DK-weight sweater so much that I decided to further modify it a second time.


Pattern: Carbeth
Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Mewesic (Mean Mr. Mustard)
View My Ravelry Project

Using my Radiate pullover as my swatch, I did a little math and figured out that if I knit the largest pattern size, I would, at my new gauge, make approximately the smallest size sweater. And I had a little more than 900 yards of the mustard yarn, but I didn’t know how much sweater I would get with that yardage. So I asked myself which parts of the sweater were most important to me — a completed yoke and a comfortable sleeve length — and approached casting on from there. I used Judy’s Magic Cast On, joined in the round, to knit the yoke first followed by the sleeves. I could then dedicate the remaining yarn to finishing the body. I ran out of yarn a little prematurely, and I was worried that it might be too short, but I blocked aggressively and the length actually feels quite appropriate.

I made on-the-fly changes to the collar, using short rows to shape the collar so that it would sort of frame the chin. I was kind of hoping for a stand-up collar effect, but it kind of flops awkwardly in the back, so I usually wear it folded down. I’ve considered picking out the bind off and redoing the collar, but i’m going to see if the collar will grow on me as-is.


Pattern: Carbeth
Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Mewesic (Blue Bayou)
View My Ravelry Project

I matched the gauge of the mustard version with my second Carbeth, for which I had exactly five skeins of yarn set aside. Again, I knit the largest pattern size, but this time I knit it from the top down, beginning with a stretchy ribbed cast on and a short crewneck-type collar. I added some short rows to the back of the neck, just to raise it slightly and make it easier to differentiate between the front and back of the sweater.

In order to use up all of my yarn, I switched to the sleeves after finishing the yoke. Once both sleeves were complete, I switched to knitting the body bottom-up, again using a stretchy ribbed cast on. I added short rows to the hem to lengthen the back slightly, then I worked the body until I basically ran out of yarn. I left a yarn tail four times the circumference of the body and used kitchener stitch to invisibly sew the top and bottom pieces together.

I really like both sweaters. The fabric is lovely — a good balance of soft but slightly scratchy. I might like the blue Carbeth slightly more, if only because I was able to approach it with greater intention having already knit the first.

Advertisements
Radiate

FO: Radiate

Pattern: Radiate
Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Mewesic (Evergreen, Mean Mr. Mustard)
View My Ravelry Project

And here are the images to go along with another post from this past winter, FO: Radiate.

Radiate

At the time, this was the first sweater I had knit with Green Mountain Spinnery’s Mewesic yarn, which I had purchased at 40% off when Heritage Woolery closed their doors. I’ve since knit two more sweaters in it — a pair of modified Carbeths — and I’ve got to say: I really like the finished fabric. Soft while keeping some of its rustic qualities. Responds well to aggressive blocking. Nice colors.

Hopefully I’ll have those Carbeth images ready to post later this week.

Radiate Pullover

FO: Radiate

Pattern: Radiate
Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Mewesic (Evergreen, Mean Mr. Mustard)
View My Ravelry Project

I got home from rehab last Friday, 29 December. The night before, I had finished my Arboreal sweater, so, as far as I was concerned, I was free to start a new project. Nevermind the lingering shawl and mitten and blanket projects already in existence.

So I cast on Radiate that evening. Because the pattern happened to be at the top of my Ravelry queue. Because the yarn was within easy reach, and I still can’t walk unassisted. And I knitted away at it for a week.

And last night, I bound off the last stitch. I don’t think I’m a particularly fast knitter, but I had a lot of time to knit last week, and I was very single-minded about this task.

I’m quite pleased with the finished object. The yarn feels lovely and durable. The yoke pattern was very intuitive. And the fit is perfect. I didn’t follow the pattern for the sleeves, instead opting to go my own way, which usually involves picking up extra stitches and decreasing less, as I don’t like narrow / close-fitting sleeves. I also eliminated the waist shaping, because I like generous, boxy sweaters.