Last April, I finished knitting my short-sleeved Passing Showers cardigan. At the time, I was quite pleased with it, but, in the last 11 months, I’ve never worn it. As it turns out, I don’t actually like short-sleeved cardigans.
One of the things I want to accomplish this year is the continued assemblage of a functional me-made wardrobe. It’s so very satisfying to pull on something I made. The mister pretends to not understand when I gleefully point out the garments that I knit that we both regularly wear. But he does know the joy and sense of accomplishment that comes with riding a bicycle that he picked the parts for and built by himself. I’m quite certain this is a feeling all makers can relate to.
At this point, I’ve got a lot of winter-weight sweaters. And I’ve got a lot of colorful sweaters — colorful by my standards. But, until recently, I’ve always worn black. The Icelandic sweaters are a lot of color for me. Almost too much. So, along with being a year of wardrobe shaping, I hope 2017 will also be my year of black. Because not only should my me-made clothing fit right, it should look right. And more of it should be black.
This brings me back to the short-sleeved Passing Showers, which has been languishing in a drawer. I wanted a black long-sleeved mid-weight cardigan, and this neglected cardi, knit in sport-weight Malabrigo, was more than halfway there. So I picked out the bind offs and garter trim on the short sleeves and turned it into something more wearable.
And I’m already wearing it. This cardi is perfect for sunny mid-50°Fs weather. Throw a denim jacket over it, and it’s good even on a windy day like today.
In addition to adding long sleeves, I also added six rows of garter stitch to the edge of the body. When I worked the bind off back in April, I had done a very elastic bind off, and I didn’t like how unstructured the edge was. I also didn’t like that the point where the collar and the body met didn’t look very unified. The two fabrics — the garter stitch collar and the lace edging on the body — behaved differently. The new garter stitch edge fixes all of that. And this time, I worked an Icelandic bind off, which creates a less stretchy and more structured edge.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a good photograph of the finished sweater. It was quite windy this morning, and it was impossible to take a picture of the hanging garment.