This is what I was working on when I lost my knitting mojo earlier this year. It was a sleeve-island kind of thing. I had about an inch on one sleeve and approximately 2-3″ on the other. And I just ran out of steam. But after I finished my Turtle Dove pullover, I had a little momentum going, and I sat down with those two sleeves, and I finished them in a single day. (And then it took me another month to block.)
Because I don’t swatch and I have strong preferences about things like sleeve and body length or yoke depth, it’s important to me to be able to try my project on as I work. This led me to make one significant modification this sweater: I knit it top-down instead of bottom-up. This was my first time turning a pattern around, but I felt like I had knit enough sweaters at this point that I could proceed with confidence, and I’m pleased with the results.
The other major change I made was needle size. The pattern calls for US 8 and US 9 needles and DK yarn. I don’t think that I’m a particularly loose knitter — in fact, I’d say I have a tendency to knit a little tightly — but I knew before I even cast on a single stitch that those needles were too big for me. Based on instinct, I went with US 6 and US 7 needles, and — of course — I can’t for the life of me remember which size I ended up knitting, but my blocked gauge is 16 stitches and 28 rows (4″).